Time to hang loose this weekend, and we've got two excellent Hawaiian finfish to help you do just that. Monchong (pictured above) and Wahoo (Ono) are currently en route to our store after being caught by longliners off the coast of Hawaii. For those of you who haven't tried them, Monchong is firm in texture and moderate in flavor, with a high oil content, while Wahoo is flaky, delicate and a little more mild. Both are well suited for the Grill.
We're also pleased to announce that we'll have farmed Barramundi in the store this weekend. Now Barramundi haven't exactly flown off the ice when we've had it in the past, but allow us to make our case as to why this fish deserves your attention:
Wild Barramundi are native to Australia's northern tropical wilderness and are typically found in small muddy ponds in dried up riverbeds due to the harsh summer. As a result, Barramundi have unfairly been associated with a muddy flavored flesh, but we can assure you these farm raised Barramundi are nothing of the sort. In fact the good folks at Austrailis in Turner Falls, MA produce a fish that that is prized for its sweet, buttery taste and succulent, delicate texture. It's comparable to sea bass, but is moister and has very high levels of heart friendly omega-3's, and it's Mercury and PCB free. Now if nutrition and taste hasn't sold you, consider that the farmed Barramundi produced in Turner Falls is one of the most responsible sustainable farms around. Austrailis is considered to be a pioneer in developing in-land closed containment tanks. What's a closed containment in-land tank? Glad you asked. Unlike other flow through systems or partial recirculation systems, closed containment systems barely emit any pollution or waste. Austrailis is able to re-use 99% of all water and the remaining 1% of waste is used as fertilizer. Barramundi are also particularly well suited to high stress environments such as closed tanks because of their history being trapped in ponds in dried up river beds. On top of that these fish have a feed conversion ratio (amount of protein it takes to yield 1lb of fish) of less than 1:1 yielding in a net protein gain. Please stop by this weekend and help support sustainable aquaculture.
Check out the full specialty list and oyster lineup below.
Wild King Salmon, Troll caught, North Pacific
Steelhead, North Pacific
Live California Sea Urchin, CA
Arriving Friday April 27th, 2012
Barramundi, Turner Falls, MA
Soft Shell Crabs, FL
Weekend Oyster Lineup
Indian Creek, Indian Creek, PEI
Beau Soleil, Mirimichi Bay, NB
Hog Neck, Southold, Long Island
Barnstables, Barnstable, MA
Wiley Point, Damariscotta River, ME
Montauk Pearl, Mecox Bay, Long Island
Flying Point, Maquoit Bay, WA
Kumamoto, Humboldt Bay, CA
Eagle Rock, Totten Inlet, BC
Sister's Point, Southern Hood Canal, WA
We hope you'll stop by this weekend and take advantage! Stay tuned next Thursday for another addition of specialty items. Please note that occasionally items listed will not make it to our store due to weather or unforeseen supply issues.
The Lobster Place