Baked Oysters with Bacon, Red Pepper & Shallots
Provided by Mel & Sheryl London
There are some people who love the taste but not the texture of raw oysters. This recipe is designed for them.
- Box of Kosher salt or rock salt
- 24 oysters, shucked and kept on bottom shells
- 3 slices of bacon cut into 8 pieces each
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 3 large shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red pepper, about 1 medium seeded
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (1/2 large lemon)
Spread the salt ½ inch deep in a baking pan large enough to hold the oysters in one layer. Make sure the oysters are pressed into the salt to steady them.
In a medium size skillet, cook the bacon over low heat, stirring occasionally until just beginning to turn golden. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
Preheat the oven to 450-500 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the butter, shallots, red pepper, parsley and lemon juice. Distribute the butter mixture among the oysters and top each with a piece of bacon. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 4-5 minutes to melt the butter and finish cooking the bacon and to firm up the oysters.
Serves 6 as a first course
MEL & SHERYL LONDON are the authors of eleven cookbooks, including “A Seafood Celebration” and “The Fish Lovers” Cookbook.” They are winners of the James Beard Award and the Tastemaker Award and were finalists for the IACP Cookbook Award for “The Gourmet Garage Cookbook.” They have been loyal and loving customers of The Lobster Place since the company first opened its doors in Chelsea Market.