Summer Seafood Ceviche
Provided by Mel & Sheryl London
A colorful blend of seafood for hot weather keeps the cook cool. Prepare at least 12 hours before serving.
- 12 ounces of sea scallops cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 pound mahimahi, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice (about 6-7 larges limes)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1/3 large lemon)
- ½ teaspoon finely minced garlic (1 small clove)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion (1/2 small onion)
- 1 cup skinned & diced plum tomatoes (3-4 large)
- 1 large jalapeno chile, seeded and finely minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons nonpareil capers, rinsed.
- ½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro (about 1 medium sized bunch) plus extra large sprigs for garnish
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large non-reactive bowl, combine the seafood, lime and lemon juice, garlic, minced onion, tomatoes, jalapeno, thyme, capers, salt and pepper and the chopped cilantro. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, stirring once or twice during that time.
When ready to serve, remove the seafood from the marinade with a slotted spoon and place on individual plates, or in martini glasses or small wine goblets. Scatter the avocado over the seafood and garnish with cilantro sprigs.
MEL & SHERYL LONDON are the authors of eleven cookbooks, including “A Seafood Celebration” and “The Fish Lovers” Cookbook.” They are winners of the James Beard Award and the Tastemaker Award and were finalists for the IACP Cookbook Award for “The Gourmet Garage Cookbook.” They have been loyal and loving customers of The Lobster Place since the company first opened its doors in Chelsea Market.