Fluke Ceviche Salad
Provided by Mel & Sheryl London
Fluke are a favorite catch for vacationers from Maine down to the Carolinas. However, Chelsea Market is the place for an easier and certain catch and this is a no-cooking, prepare-ahead dish, which is a knockout when presented.
- 1 ¼ pounds fluke fillets, skinned and cut diagonally into 1 ½ -2 inch diamond shapes
- ¾ cup lime juice (about 4-5 large limes)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup very thinly sliced scallion greens
- 1/3 cup very finely diced green pepper
- 1/3 cup very finely diced red pepper
- 1 tbsp seeded and finely minced Jalapeno chile (1 large)
- 3 tbsp finely minced fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Alfalfa sprouts
- 2 or 3 large Kiwi fruit, peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices.
lace the pieces of fish in a glass or ceramic bowl. Mix the lime juice, cumin and salt and pepper together. Pour over the fish, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 12 hours if more convenient.
About 1 hour before you plan to serve: in a small bowl, combine the scallions, sweet and hot peppers, cilantro, orange juice and vinegar. To serve, drain the fish and discard the lime juice liquid. Place the alfalfa sprouts around the outer rims of 4-5 serving plates. Place one slice of kiwi in the center of each plate and arrange the diamond-shape slices of fish around the kiwi to form a star. Using a slotted spoon put some of the peppers & cilantro mixture in a circle over the fish slices. Trickle any remaining liquid over all. Cover each plate with plastic wrap and chill a bit before serving.
MEL & SHERYL LONDON are the authors of eleven cookbooks, including “A Seafood Celebration” and “The Fish Lovers” Cookbook.” They are winners of the James Beard Award and the Tastemaker Award and were finalists for the IACP Cookbook Award for “The Gourmet Garage Cookbook.” They have been loyal and loving customers of The Lobster Place since the company first opened its doors in Chelsea Market.