Warm Seafood Salad
Provided by Mel & Sheryl London
Seafood quickly cooked in a vinaigrette, redolent of basil and parsley, and served on a bed of peppery watercress.
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1 large shallot, peeled
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dried red hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 large plum tomatoes, halved & seeded, cut into 3/8 inch dice
- 1/2 medium size green bell pepper, seeded & cut into 3/8 inch dice
- 1/2 lb medium size shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1/2 lb sea scallops, cut into quarters (or bay scallops)
- 1/2 lb sea bass, tilefish or grouper, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 4 cups watercress leaves
Take off 4 basil leaves, shred by hand and set aside. Add the remaining basil and the parsley to the bowl of a food processor and chop coarsely. Add the shallots and garlic and continue to finely chop. Add vinegar, salt and hot pepper and combine with a few strokes. Then slowly add the olive oil.
In a small bowl, combine the shredded basil leaves with the tomatoes and set aside. Heat the vinaigrette in a 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Add the green pepper and sauté about 1 minute. Increase the heat to high, add the shrimp and stir for 1 minute.
Then add the scallops and the fish and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes, or until just opaque.
Line serving plates with watercress leaves. Add the reserved tomatoes and the shredded basil to the seafood. Taste to adjust the seasoning. Spoon the warm seafood on to the watercress and serve.
MEL & SHERYL LONDON are the authors of eleven cookbooks, including “A Seafood Celebration” and “The Fish Lovers” Cookbook.” They are winners of the James Beard Award and the Tastemaker Award and were finalists for the IACP Cookbook Award for “The Gourmet Garage Cookbook.” They have been loyal and loving customers of The Lobster Place since the company first opened its doors in Chelsea Market.