Three Pepper Bluefish
Provided by Mel & Sheryl London
Summertime and the bluefish are running. And preparing bluefish with these Mediterranean flavors is the perfect complement.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- ½ each large yellow, red and green peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced in 2 inch long strips
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco or siracha hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 ½ pounds bluefish fillets, about 6-8 ounces each (Substitute: mackerel)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced parsley
- 4 lemon wedges
Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat in a 12 inch skillet. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute until soft and fragrant. Add the peppers and sauté, stirring occasionally until they just begin to soften (about 3 to 4 minutes more). Add the cumin, coriander, cloves, Tabasco, salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl & set aside.
Wipe out the skillet and then add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the fish, skin side up, for 3 minutes. Turn the fillets skin side down, spoon the reserved peppers mixture over the fillets. Cover the pan and cook over medium-low heat until the thickest part of the fish is opaque (about 6-7 minutes longer).
Transfer the fish and pepper to warm serving plates. Sprinkle with parley and add a lemon wedge to be squeezed over the fish at the table.
MEL & SHERYL LONDON are the authors of eleven cookbooks, including “A Seafood Celebration” and “The Fish Lovers” Cookbook.” They are winners of the James Beard Award and the Tastemaker Award and were finalists for the IACP Cookbook Award for “The Gourmet Garage Cookbook.” They have been loyal and loving customers of The Lobster Place since the company first opened its doors in Chelsea Market.